9.10.2010

Art and Worship

My good friend Ike Graul awhile back told me he's been asked to develop a 'theology of music in worship.' But he felt that was too narrow - it should be expanded to be a more inclusive 'theology of art (including musical, theatrical, visual, etc.) in worship.'  It's something I've been thinking about somewhat for awhile now,  but moreso the past few months.  I've 'performed' drawings at PUMP for several years, and have done so at Faith Quest for the past three or four years.  And honestly, I've been very concerned about certain aspects of me doing art in a church/worship context.  But this past weekend, at Faith Quest 2010 I had some great conversations with Ike, Matt Tibbles, my wife, and the speakers Jeff Medders and Ryan Woods.  So here are some of my musings and some of the conclusions I'm coming to.

My first issue probably has to do with illustration vs. more abstract forms of art.  Despite my initial lack of understanding of abstract art I am now true believer in the efficacy of abstract forms of expression.  So perhaps it was just a bit selfishness (and snooty-ness) on my part to be somewhat upset with that fact that the majority of a church-going audience does not understand abstract art.   Not only did I simply prefer to do abstract works, but it began to become a moral issue.  Let me explain.

I've always been able to draw well.  It has always come fairly easy to me.  So this created a couple of interrelated issues regarding talent.  One, abstract art being more challenging, I felt almost guilty doing something as 'trite' as a simple illustration.  I felt I wasn't using the talent God gave me to the fullest extent, which I feel was not bringing honor to Him.  Second, to make matters worse, not only was I 'settling' for illustration, but because I was better than most people around me, I often was able to get away with a picture I thought, quite frankly, looked like crap even though it elicited 'oohs' and 'aahs' from the crowd.  Double guilt.

So in speaking with Ike I came to see art as a 'tongue' - as like a foreign language.  In I Corinthians Paul encourages those speaking in tongues to keep quiet if there is no interpreter as that would not edify the body.  So I felt that abstraction could be utilized more if there was provided at that time a means for interpretation.  Then it was pointed out to me that the Apostles spoke in tongues in Acts 2 and those who spoke those languages could understand them.  So... there may be people who get abstraction and I would be speaking to them artistically in a way that a speaker (verbal) could not.

But then I had an amazing, affirming weekend at Faith Quest.  The speakers were comfortable with me going a little more abstract and the response was tremendous.  And I discovered a hunger.  People were REALLY interested in some of the more abstract aspects - even though I had done some abstract stuff in previous years that didn't seem to garner that much attention.  They seemed to crave the 'secrets' to the 'mysteries' of abstraction.  And it got me thinking.

We were singing a song about Jesus being a 'marvelous mystery' - so why didn't it seem people craved the 'secrets' to the 'mystery' of Christ?  My initial thought is that we often think we have Jesus figured out- He's no longer a mystery to us.  

But maybe there's something else.

This might come out sounding conceited but stay with me.  I think the people responded to the art because of me.  I'm reminded of 2 Corinthians 4 - of 'commending ourselves to the consciences of others by the open statement of the truth'.  If I hadn't been openly worshiping God in this (visual) format for the past few years, I don't think it would have had near the effect.  All of my anxiety over illustrative vs. abstract had nothing to do with it.  It's about relationship.  Being open with my art and consistently, honestly doing my thing is what attracted people- people who seemed to crave the 'secrets to the mystery' of art but never felt compelled to darken the door of an art museum.

It's not unlike Ike's credo on musical worship:  God does not call us to create beautiful music- He wants a joyful noise.  It's the open and honest presentation of who we are (good singer or not) that matters.

So here is what I'm coming to:  be hospitable with your gifts.  Be a people of peace through your gifts.  Whether people 'get it' or not, or connect with you or not, is not really your concern.  God will bring the people of peace that do connect with it into your life.  It's not about the gift.  It's about the openness, the honesty, the relationship.

1 comment:

Michael C said...

I like what you say with the fact that you need to make peace with your gifts!!! You have done that!!!!!