6.13.2006

In Theory

I love ideas. I love to talk about, follow where they meander through the intellectual landscape, and I love seeing how everything fits together (because everything fits nicely in theory-world). However, I've recently been uneasy about dwelling on the theoretical as I become more and more aware that the practical concerns of everyday existence, and the experiential aspects of Christianity, in particular, are so often divorced from theory. Being 'purely academic' was becoming distasteful. And this change sounded good- in theory. But I've realized it's become a problem for me- I'm hardwired to be more theoretical. I draw a sense of life and a certain energy from mental pursuits. And, on the flip side, I've become more aware of my inadequacies in the practical, real world where you are supposed to get a job and earn money. I don't play that game very well, partially because it zaps me. There is nothing there to feed my spirit.
So I've been feeling a little down lately. But I think I'm on the beginning of an upswing thanks to a couple of books borrowed from my good friend Ike, The Divine Conspiracy and The Signature of Jesus. The latter does emphasize the experiential, which I still feel is crucial, but The Divine Conspiracy reveals that our actions stem from our thoughts. In essence, the practical stems from the theoretical. Everything that has ever been accomplished was born of an idea, relates Napolean Hill Theory may be divorced from the realm of the practical but only in the terms of time- it precedes the everyday, sometimes by a few months, sometimes a lifetime, sometimes even centuries may pass before an idea translates into life changing activity.
Ironically, now that I look back, the times when my practical life and behavior were most aligned with my spiritual values, was when I spent a lot of time in my head. Making connections, articulating new discoveries, developing awareness and understanding. It was only after I strayed away from these activities and concentrated on how I should be and behave, that my actions began to go to pot.
So I'm coming to grips with my God given talents and abilities- though they seem to have little to no application to life and they don't produce an income- and to not be ashamed. My ideas may have a vital role to play in the actions of myself and others. At least, it sounds good in theory.

No comments: