9.13.2011

FaithQuest 2011_4


Picasso once said, “Good artists borrow; Great artists steal.”  I admit it,  I totally stole the imagery on this one (it’s ok, though, because he stole it too.)  One of my former professors in graduate school, a phenomenal artist named John Millei has made a series of works using this type of imagery for water.  He stole the idea from some tapestries in Angers, France (the artistic term for ‘stealing’ is ‘appropriation’).  I love the power of a line- waving, bending, moving through space and reacting to its environment.  And these lines, serving as waves, are so powerful to me; so expressive.
Maritime #10 (The Deluge) by John Millei

So I decided to use them in this painting of the water of the Jordan River dividing (to his credit, his paintings are much better than mine. In my defense, it was my first time).  And as Troy let us know- the Israelites had to really step out in faith on this one.  Before, when they were all kids and their parents were being led out from Egypt, Moses went up, raised his arms and staff and the waters parted before them.  Then they just had to walk through like it was no big deal.  This time, though, the priests carrying the ark had to step in the water first.  It wasn’t until they placed their foot in the running current that the water began to back up and split.  So here you see, as the water is dividing, there are footprints already in the sand.  


No comments: